The main purpose of the Ride-Along Program is to improve police and public relations by familiarizing participants with the complex and unpredictable nature of police work. It can also be a great introduction to daily life on the police force.
All participants are required to be at least 18 years of age or obtain written consent from a legal guardian, and be able to pass a minor background check. The participant would then be assigned to ride in a marked patrol car with a uniformed officer.
Participants who are interested in the Ride-Along program are required to provide information that will be used to perform a minor background check. Please download a Citizen Ride Along and Hold Harmless / Regulations Agreement Form. Once completed you may drop it off in person, mail, or fax the form back to the Police Department. You will be notified of the date of your scheduled ride along. If you have a specific officer you would like to ride with or date you would like to ride please include that on the form.
Please familurize yourself with the following regulations prior to arriving for your schedule ride along.
- Participants shall wear professional casual clothing. Shorts, sleeveless shirts, and T-shirts will not be acceptable attire.
- Participants shall be under the direct control of the police officer.
- Officers will not allow participants to enter private homes or other areas where a citizen has a reasonable expectation of privacy without the explicit consent of the citizen. Participants will also not be allowed to photograph and/or videotape within these same areas.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times.
- Participants shall not interfere with police officers while in the performance of their duties.
- Participants shall not perform police duties. In an emergency, they may take appropriate action to protect themselves and/or officers.
- Officers shall not engage in pursuits while participants are passengers in their vehicles.
- Department Supervisors shall have the option to deny an individual’s request to participate in the Ride Along Program.
- Officers may request, through their immediate supervisor, that the Ride Along privileges of the participant be terminated for just cause.
- Participants shall not carry weapons while they are participating in the Ride Along Program.